Friday, March 20, 2009

My Mormon Marlboro Man!

I feel like I always knew, that I would know, when I met the man I would marry. Not like a "hit you over the head" knowing, but the "deep down in your heart, burning" knowing. This kind of "knowing" is tricky because you have to be paying attention.
I had some criteria, a check list of sorts, I wanted a Mormon Marlboro Man.
You remember the Marlboro commercial from way back when, before tobacco commercials were banned from television? He was a couple of days post shave, tanned, dark and brooding, riding a horse. Sigh! I know it sounds crazy but I wanted my own Marlboro Man who was a Mormon, so hence, I created my version of the "Mormon Marlboro Man". Unshaven, tanned, dark and brooding, horse lover, return missionary, worthy priesthood holder and thereby worthy to take me to the Temple. Knowing my husband as well as I do now, it is shocking that I didn't see him immediately as "HIM".
I wasn't paying attention.
So when I met Trent I didn't "know" he was the one and promptly got engaged to the one I was "waiting" for. You know, the missionary I sent on a mission while attending Ricks College? (There should be a warning posted on all dorm and apartment walls, with all the possible treacheries that come with attending a church college, such as the inevitability of "sending out missionaries", "diamond blindness" -this happens only in the spring when school is about to end and the RM's and the 2nd year females are equally desperate to become engaged before the semester ends, so diamonds rings are flashed about everywhere- and lest we forget the "freshman 15" due to a high consumption of Top Ramen.)
Thanks heavens for the spirit. It did not take long before the promptings grew increasingly uncomfortable to the point of unbearable and I knew. Without a shadow of a doubt I knew.
It wasn't easy, the poor returned missionary had to be sent home and I had to pay penance and beg for forgiveness more than once, but he did forgive me and yesterday we celebrated our 16th Wedding Anniversary!
Sixteen perfect years. Not that all has been perfect, we have trials like everyone else. But I say perfect because we get through those trials together and were better people, more in love, stronger, with a bond that grows deeper by the day.
So to celebrate our marriage, I would like to celebrate Trent, my unsung hero.

Here are 25 things that I love and appreciate about him (in no particular order):

1. He loves me. I never question this, he always shows his love for me, I can never doubt it.
2.His unshaven face. Even better his tanned, unshaven face, that smiles a perfect white smile.
3. He knows EVERYTHING! Sometimes I am amazed at what he knows, whether it's a gospel question or something about the plumbing, he knows it all.
4. He loves our children.
5. He makes me laugh, a lot and often.
6. He takes care of me. I am definitely not one that needs taken care of, but on occasion it's out of my control and he steps up everytime. Most of these times occur around the birth of our children, especially Brennan.
Mini story. Brennan's birth from beginning to end was rough. Many of you know this, but my trooper husband was definitely my rock. During the pregnancy, with all the trips to the doctors, being big as a house with all the steroids that were being pumped into me, warts, zits and oily skin (all side effects of the steroids) crazy emotions, some pregnancy induced, some steroid induced and then the late night feedings at the hospital. When Brennan was born and still in the hospital and I was sent home, he understood my need for a parent to feed Brennan each night although I couldn't bear to go up there and leave my baby and go home and sleep without him. So even though Trent had piled potatoes all day, he would shower and head to the hospital, because it gave me peace.
6. He is so good at his job! He IS the best potato farmer in the Columbia Basin!
7. His testimony. He is not a "shout it from the rooftops" kind of guy, but when he shares his knowledge and testimony I'm always in awe.
8. He does his calling well. He just was called as Elder's Quorum President and he faithfully attends all his meetings, visits those who need visits, blesses, moves, prays for, thinks about all who need extra thought and care.
9. Thinks I'm beautiful, always.
10. When I call him midday, I love the sound of his voice when he says "Yes, sweetheart?"
11. Midday at work he'll call me and cheerfully ask "How's it going, princess?" which is just what I need to hear when I'm feeling especially grease monkeyish.
12. Appreciates what I do, whether it's around the house, paying bills or cooking his dinner.
13. Doesn't get mad, when it's been "one of those days" and it's either breakfast for dinner or worse yet, not even started and he jumps in to start cooking. (usually tacos)
14. Just shakes his head and smiles, and again cooks dinner, when I seem to be caught up in a particularly good book and can't seem to put it down. (reference past Twilight posts)
15. Is a devoted brother to his sisters.
16. Hauls away mountains of yard debris and grass clippings. And fertilizes my yard, so it is wonderfully green all summer, even though he knows it will create mountains of grass clippings.
17. Promised me one day, before we were married, that he would plant me a whole circle of flowers. It's the thought that counts.
18. Still holds my hand.
19. Takes me on a Sunday drive, every Sunday, even after a long morning of meetings.
20. Can says things honestly and bluntly, like no one can and never offend.
21.Is still glad he married me.
22. Has faithfully changed some health habits since being diagnosed with diabetes.
23. Takes Brennan to work all the time, even though Brennan can sometimes be a nuisance and Brennan LOVES it!
24. Holds a temple recommend.
25. Sings goofy, off-key songs to wake-up the kids in the mornings.

I'm sure there are more, because there definitely should be. He fits all the criteria on my checklist of my perfect Mormon Marlboro Man except "horse lover" but he humors me with the idea of getting my own horse some day. (Even though he thinks they are just over grown dogs)

1 comment:

Kathy’s Korner said...

Kim, I just read this and was so touched by the tenderness of your tribute to Trent. I am so happy for the love that you share. I am impressed with all the 25 things you said and I would like to add "he is humble". I also like his smile and agree that he can be very candid, yet unoffensive! You make a good couple. You are just what he needed. Very faithful, supportive, fun, happy, great home maker and decorator-gardener. Great couple. Happy Anniversary!!!

London playing soccer

London playing soccer
Varsity Soccer 2010

Isabelle the Ballerina

Isabelle the Ballerina
First pointe shoes

Brennan

Brennan
Hanging out on the potato piler