Friday, September 18, 2009

Love is in the air?

One of the things I appreciate about little boys is their matter-of-factness. They don't get too emotional about things which is a pretty nice balance to the emotion that abounds with girls.

Today I am driving my 3rd grade son to school and he casually announces that he has a girlfriend.

"Oh, really? Who?" I ask. He tells me it's a little girl who is new to our school and neighborhood and to protect her future rep, we will refer to her as "Jane". I probe him further only to find out that this relationship is not really something he enjoys but rather tolerates. He proceeds to explain that "Jane" follows him around the playground and watches him play soccer and dreamily sighs at his prowess on the soccer field. Are you kidding me?
Okay, so I am belly rolling while he is telling me all this because they are in THIRD GRADE!!!!!!! And his non-chalance about it kills me.

So, after school, we have some more alone time and I quiz him further about his "girlfriend". He tells me he has decided to break-up with her. (Again I have a near car accident, because I'm laughing so hard.)
"Did you ask her to BE your girlfriend?"
"No, she told me she was my girlfriend."
This girls got guts, but I'll give it to her for going after what she wants, albeit a little young?!
Perfect opportunity to interject the fact that he is a little too young to have a girlfriend and the reminder he cannot date until he is sixteen, so he may want to kindly tell "Jane" that she is a nice girl but he is only not quite nine.
"Yeah", he says. "Maybe I'll like her when I'm 16."

No comments:

London playing soccer

London playing soccer
Varsity Soccer 2010

Isabelle the Ballerina

Isabelle the Ballerina
First pointe shoes

Brennan

Brennan
Hanging out on the potato piler