Thursday, December 4, 2008

Twilight the Movie

So I went to the Midnight premiere Thursday night, which was soooo much fun! My girls were there, their friends were there, their moms were there, there were crazy people there ( such as the lady with the feather shirt, DO NOT ASK!), there were obnoxious teenage boys there and we had awesome seats (thanks Brittany). I loved that everyone in the theater cheered as soon as they saw the Summit Entertainment icon come up on the screen. But that night, I will confess, I did not LOVE the movie. When I started reading these books I had no idea they were such a phenomenon, I had no idea there was a movie in the works, they were just a series of books that a few friends had recommended and on a really bad TV night I picked up Twilight. If you read my earlier blog you know that nothing has touched me the way these books have, so when they announced the cast I was less than thrilled. Edward was ok but I was really upset about the choice for Bella. However, at the end of the movie, I was actually happier with Bella than Edward. I felt that Edwards wisdom and presence in the book was missing in the movie. Also, having read the book at least 5 times I think I knew the story too well. I also felt that the special effects in the movie were probably hampered by their budget. I also thought Jasper looked like a serial killer. So at the end of the night I was a little disappointed, but remember, I did say I expected to like it, not LOVE it. This was true.
But, I went again the night before Thanksgiving with my mom, my sisters and sisters-in-law and I really liked it a lot more. Now that I had no expectations (and it wasn't 1 am) I was able to enjoy the movie and found that although my basic opinions were the same, there were still a lot of really good things about the movie, I may even go back for a third viewing!
So now, I'm waiting for my mom to finish Twilight so I can get it back to read it again, so while I wait I'm taking another trip throught Breaking Dawn and reread the draft of Midnight Sun, posted on the website.
It may sound silly but I love being able to escape to Forks, WA and immerse myself in a world of vampires, werewolves, and truly devoted love.

2 comments:

Child of God said...

Kim, Jasper is a serial killer! So now you know what one looks like. I enjoyed it much more the second time. Not lovin' it, but enjoyed it.

Peggy Dee said...

Yes, I totally agree about Edward. The movie does not capture his wisdom and certainly not his charm. But I also liked it better the 2nd time. I have only read the books once so luckily I am not familiar with all the little details or it would probably drive me crazy. If I ever need to know any Twilight trivia, I certainly know who to ask!

London playing soccer

London playing soccer
Varsity Soccer 2010

Isabelle the Ballerina

Isabelle the Ballerina
First pointe shoes

Brennan

Brennan
Hanging out on the potato piler